Clean your chimney. It is very common for a home to have a chimney fire and be totally destroyed. It is very difficult for the fire department to put it out. SERVPRO was able to clean a few of the contents. Basically what was left.
Lake Michigan bluff home that was vacant caught fire on a very cold and windy morning. The fire dept was able to keep it from spreading to the neighboring homes. These homes had some smoke damage that SERVPRO of Berrien County cleaned.
House fire. Nobody hurt. Chimney became too hot and burned the surrounding wall, ceiling and into the attic. The local fire department put out the fire. SERVPRO provided the clean up, demo, rebuild.
Clean your chimney regularly.
Clean up after a fire can be a long process. This picture shows one of the first steps to removing the soot. If you just tried to repaint without removing all the contaminates from the surface the soot will bleed right through.